next changelogs and ppa uploads

Harald Sitter sitter.harald at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 12:18:33 UTC 2014

On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 2:09 PM, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu at kitterman.com> wrote:
> On Monday, September 22, 2014 13:54:04 Harald Sitter wrote:
>> On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 1:47 PM, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu at kitterman.com>
> wrote:

>> > OK.  Since next workspace is PPA only for some time, I think it's
>> > reasonable if there's a script up to when we do the first uploads to the
>> > archive, then I think we should do it like other packages where the
>> > debian/changelog entries are pre-compacted.
>>
>> Mhh, how about putting a metadata file in the relevant branches then?
>> The file would always contain the latest version.
>> cat _ppa_version
>>   4:5.0.1-0kittens11~spaceships100~ppa6
>>
>> There's really only those two options IMO. We have to put the data somewhere
>> :S
>
> I don't think I'm following you.  What goes in this file that's not already in
> the changelog?

Versions of ppa uploads are not in the changelog. What we are doing is
we have a forever unreleased changelog entry for what will eventually
go into the archive. The actual versions that are being uploaded to a
PPA are not tracked, the ppa-bzr-build-package script temporary merges
source and packaging and injects a temporary changelog entry which
never ends up in bzr.

Since you don't want the PPA versions tracked in the changelog for
things that eventually go to the archive we have to put the
information somewhere.

Concrete example: earlier I changed the plasma5 systemsettings package
and needed to lookup the version that is our latest PPA upload. So I
went to the next ppa, which had 5.0.1, while the changelog had 5.0.2
(that already required me as faulty human to realize that), so I had
to go to next-staging find systemsettings, filter a bit and finally I
found the correct version.
In fact this is even an even more general problem for ppa uploads, if
I fix something in a PPA-only package version (e.g. a backport) I need
to know the previous ppa version in order to generate a new upload,
currently this involves a human somehow finding out what the previous
upload was.

HS