Kubuntu 15.04

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Thu Oct 30 20:10:41 UTC 2014

On Thursday, October 30, 2014 12:19:58 Harald Sitter wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 12:40 PM, Jonathan Riddell <jr at jriddell.org> wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 12:37:16AM +0000, Rick.Timmis wrote:
> >>    The Plasma 5 release dude is all for it and the Plasma 5 dude who's
> >>    sitting next to him is also all for it.  Nobody upstream has said
> >>    anything against it they're just disappointed that we'd be shipping
> >>    Plasma 5.2 and not 5.3 (out the week after Kubuntu 15.04).
> >
> > Nobody seems to object, so I'm going to say we'll have Plasma 5 by default
> > in Kubuntu 15.04.
> Needs papers to be filed with TB to seek blanket SRU approval for KF5.
> Otherwise we need to work out a way to get newer frameworks into our
> released versions as to enable people to get bug fixes.

No.  We don't.

KF5 doesn't meet the criteria for a standing SRU exception and since the last
KF5 update broke Plasma 5, I think we've got no basis for claiming upstream
feature releases are sufficiently low risk that non-bugfix releases are
acceptable for post-release updates.

This should be no surprise.  This was all discussed when upstream decided not
to provide support for current releases.  We'll have to cherrypick and do our
best with imprant bug fixes via the normal SRU process.

Scott K