[SRU] Set the default IO scheduler to CFQ in Kubuntu Trusty

Steve Langasek steve.langasek at ubuntu.com
Sat Oct 11 01:57:24 UTC 2014

On Fri, Oct 10, 2014 at 11:26:20AM +0100, Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 09, 2014 at 09:02:04AM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 09, 2014 at 05:39:33PM +0200, Rohan Garg wrote:

> Is there any further information on this?  The upstream Baloo author
> would like to know why his work is causing unnecessary slowdowns for
> Kubuntu users and getting his work bad name.

> This is a change that has been done from upstream Linux and Ubuntu is
> the only distro to make such a change so I find it very hard to
> believe that going back to upstream default would cause a problem.
> These changes are in utopic where it solves the problem of slugging
> Kubuntu systems very nicely.  So I'd ask the SRU team to consider
> letting this is again without delay.

I am not willing to personally sign off on this SRU, because I don't think
it provably passes the "no regressions" threshold.  And I don't think that
the SRU team as a whole should let this into -proposed without the kind of
thorough regression test case that I outlined in my previous mail to
ubuntu-release (which will minimize the regressions, but still doesn't prove
that there aren't any).  I also agree with what Scott wrote on the bug
report.  This is not a recent behavior change in the Ubuntu kernel; it is
the sort of thing that we should take the time to gather as much data as
possible about, before pushing this change out in an SRU.  Gathering data on
top of the 14.10 release is a useful way to do this.