[SRU] Set the default IO scheduler to CFQ in Kubuntu Trusty

Jonathan Riddell jr at jriddell.org
Fri Oct 10 10:26:20 UTC 2014

On Thu, Oct 09, 2014 at 09:02:04AM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 09, 2014 at 05:39:33PM +0200, Rohan Garg wrote:
> > > So while I still don't agree that this is free of risk of regression (e.g.,
> > > a system with both kubuntu and ubuntu desktops installed could see a direct
> > > regression under the ubuntu session as a result of this change), I also
> >
> > Could you elaborate a bit on how this would affect the unity session? Sure
> > performance might take a hit in certain cases, and we're very well
> > aware of that,
>
> As I said, the switch to deadline was seen to address existing problems with
> applications on the unity desktop (when running on an HDD) becoming
> non-responsive under heavy I/O.  Switching back to cfq is likely to
> reintroduce this problem.

Is there any further information on this?  The upstream Baloo author
would like to know why his work is causing unnecessary slowdowns for
Kubuntu users and getting his work bad name.

This is a change that has been done from upstream Linux and Ubuntu is
the only distro to make such a change so I find it very hard to
believe that going back to upstream default would cause a problem.
These changes are in utopic where it solves the problem of slugging
Kubuntu systems very nicely.  So I'd ask the SRU team to consider
letting this is again without delay.

Jonathan