New KDE Frameworks Versions as SRU

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Thu Nov 20 23:12:22 UTC 2014

On Thursday, November 20, 2014 09:04:52 PM Rohan Garg wrote:

Major snippage for readability

> > > While I don't want to expand this preliminary thread too wide I really
> > > don't think there are many options anyway. Either we don't provide
> > > updates in which case bugs will stay around forever (rendering the
> > > post-release support an imaginary fairy tale) or updating with
> > > features and do everything in our power to make sure that nothing
> > > breaks.
> >
> > If we limit our post-release updates to security fixes and very serious
>
> bugs, I think that's fine.  That's what support is.
>
> But that's additional work that we are imposing on ourselves when we could
> invest that time making sure releases are  regression free.

Compared to what?  Are you suggesting that we also be allowed to push minor
version updates through -security to resolve security issues?  That's far more
unusual than micro-release updates via SRU.

We're going to have to address security issues distinctly anyway, regardless
of what's done with minor version updates.  For the non-security releases, if
there are so many severe bugs that packaging up the fixes is a lot of work,
then I seriously question if the software is of high enough quality to merit
an exception.

This isn't, IMO, really about how much work it takes to provide fixes for
severe/security bugs.  Its about providing minor fixes and new features.

Scott K