Ktorrent Status/Replacement

Ralph Janke txwikinger at ubuntu.com
Thu Nov 20 16:04:54 UTC 2014

On 2014-11-20 10:26, Scarlett Clark wrote:
> On Thursday, November 20, 2014 10:21:41 AM Ralph Janke wrote:
>> On 2014-11-20 09:34, Harald Sitter wrote:

>> > my point is that there is no dead upstream, as no one tried to talk to
>> > upstream (nor brought it to the attention of the large kde developer
>> > community).
>

>> The question is IMHO if you could ever consider an upstream dead. By
>> definition
>> this would mean that it would never become alive again. However, in
>> Open
>> Source,
>> anybody can pick up the source and so a new group of people can take
>> over the
>> maintenance without anybody else being able to prevent it.
>>
>> So I would rephrase this question. How would you consider that a
>> source
>> is
>> obsolete in the sense that there is a better one the replaces the
>> first
>> one
>> and it does not make sense to put any kind of work in it anymore. Or,
>> if
>> it
>> is still a valid choice, how to create the helpful flow of information
>> that
>> allows people to step forward to keep it maintained.
>
> Just an FYI Ktorrent is next on the Gardening team to do. We were able
> to get
> a new release with k3b and sparked new life into it. Please don't deem
> Ktorrent dead just yet.
> Scarlett

So, How would I be able to contribute to the gardening of ktorrent
without
spending a lot of time with administrative stuff? While I am passionate
about
writing software, I have grown tired with the administrative hurdles in
Open Source projects and currently rather started my own projects which
can just work on whenever I like to. However, I am willing to give it
another
try with ktorrent (or other similar things) if it helps.

--
txwikinger

Long live free/libre software