New KDE Frameworks Versions as SRU

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Thu Nov 20 15:25:53 UTC 2014

On Thursday, November 20, 2014 04:17:07 PM Harald Sitter wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 4:11 PM, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu at kitterman.com>
wrote:

> >> I think the solution to that is to get yourself into a position to
> >> influence the KDE decision making. Not blocking progress for the sake
> >> of blocking progress.
> >
> > I did participate in the upstream discussion when the decision was taken.
>
> So clearly the arguments for bugfix releases were not good enough.

My summary of the counter argument is something like "despite you packagers
telling us the point releases are useful, we think they aren't and it would be
less work if we didn't bother".  I wasn't the only packager in the argument,
but I don't think they really cared.

> > I don't view it as blocking progress.  I think upstream giving up on
> > maintenance was anything but progress.  I view it as protecting our users.
>
> I think that should be KDE's users. We don't produce a whole lot of
> software really.

We're the integrator, so it's up to us to deliver something that's reliable
and consistent.  That particularly includes not messing up releases.  Users
building directly from upstream source tend to be more technical, so they can
better stand recovering from breakage.  Keeping the release stable and
functional is our responsibility, not theirs.

> > I'm open to changing my mind in the future based on a demonstrated record
> > of consistent success.  I don't think that exists yet.
>
> Fair enough.

Thanks,

Scott K