New KDE Frameworks Versions as SRU

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Thu Nov 20 15:11:23 UTC 2014

On Thursday, November 20, 2014 03:56:13 PM Harald Sitter wrote:
> >> There is a need for bugfixes, which unfortunately may or may not
> >> contain features. That being said, with frameworks being mostly
> >> libraries a 'feature' is a new function, which quite simply can not
> >> break existing functions by being there. C++ doesn't work like this.
> >
> > I completely agree bug fixes are needed.  I think it's very unfortunate
> > that upstream decided to abandon their traditional post-release support.
> I think the solution to that is to get yourself into a position to
> influence the KDE decision making. Not blocking progress for the sake
> of blocking progress.

I did participate in the upstream discussion when the decision was taken.

I don't view it as blocking progress.  I think upstream giving up on
maintenance was anything but progress.  I view it as protecting our users.

I'm open to changing my mind in the future based on a demonstrated record of
consistent success.  I don't think that exists yet.

Scott K