New KDE Frameworks Versions as SRU

Harald Sitter apachelogger at ubuntu.com
Thu Nov 20 14:56:13 UTC 2014

On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 3:44 PM, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu at kitterman.com> wrote:
> On Thursday, November 20, 2014 03:39:47 PM Harald Sitter wrote:
>> On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 3:34 PM, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu at kitterman.com>
> wrote:

>> > They already failed at this once, so I don't feel confident in this
>> > assertion.
>> So did kdelibs4.

>> > I'm against it.
>>
>> Against asking? Oo
>
> Yes.  I don't think it's appropriate to get a blanket exception given the
> upstream maintenance (or lack there of) philosophy.  So I don't think we
> should ask if we can do something I don't think we should do.

I hope the TB sees things differently then.

>> > We got the exception for KDE4 because upstream had an updates policy
>> > (which
>> > you wrote/socialized upstream) that was consistent with our SRU
>> > requirements. This is not true for KF5.  I don't think that the fact that
>> > there was an exception for KDE4 is relevant.
>>
>> Except that frameworks derive from the same code base, are made by the
>> same people and powers the continuations of previously seen kdelibs4
>> applications.
>>
>> > The upstream maintenance policy is clearly at odds with our SRU policy, so
>> > an exception is inappropriate.  Consider that it's called a micro-release
>> > exception and upstream has decided they aren't doing micro-releases at
>> > all.
>> >
>> > Since we will freeze our versions for development with a compatible KF5
>> > and
>> > Plasma 5, there's no need for newer feature versions in the archive.  We
>> > have approximately a bazillion PPAs for people that want newer crack.  We
>> > shouldn't inflict it on the entire user base.
>>
>> There is a need for bugfixes, which unfortunately may or may not
>> contain features. That being said, with frameworks being mostly
>> libraries a 'feature' is a new function, which quite simply can not
>> break existing functions by being there. C++ doesn't work like this.
>
> I completely agree bug fixes are needed.  I think it's very unfortunate that
> upstream decided to abandon their traditional post-release support.

I think the solution to that is to get yourself into a position to
influence the KDE decision making. Not blocking progress for the sake
of blocking progress.

> The
> proper fix for that, however, is not to dump the crack of the day onto all our
> users.

Crack of the day is hardly the right way to describe substantially
autotest covered software that goes through continuous integration,
static code analysis, continuous package integration, symbol tracking,
constant developer and early adopter testing, then a week or two of
PPA testing, and then a week or two of proposed testing.

HS