Fwd [ubuntu-release] Re: LTS status for Ubuntu flavours]

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Fri Feb 21 23:29:15 UTC 2014

On Friday, February 21, 2014 20:25:07 Rohan Garg wrote:
> On Friday 21 February 2014 18:43:32 Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> > Time to commit to LTS.  5 years?
> >
> > Jonathan
> >
> > ----- Forwarded message from Stéphane Graber <stgraber at ubuntu.com> -----
> >
> > Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 10:50:33 -0500
> > From: Stéphane Graber <stgraber at ubuntu.com>
> > To: technical-board at lists.ubuntu.com, ubuntu-release at lists.ubuntu.com
> > Sender: ubuntu-release-bounces at lists.ubuntu.com
> > Subject: [ubuntu-release] Re: LTS status for Ubuntu flavours
> >
> > Apparently I can't type... fixing the address of the release mailing-list.
> >
> > On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 10:43:01AM -0500, Stéphane Graber wrote:
> > > Hey everyone,
> > >
> > > First of all, sorry for getting to this so late, there has been a bit of
> > > rotation in the TB since last time we went through this and I think
> > > everyone forgot about that rather important part of a LTS cycle!
> > >
> > > So for Ubuntu 12.04, the following flavours had LTS status:
> > >  - Edubuntu - 5 years
> > >  - Kubuntu - 5 years
> > >  - Xubuntu - 3 years
> > >
> > > While not on the original list, Mythbuntu has also been participating in
> > > all point releases so far and shortly after the 12.04 release switched
> > > to being LTS-only.
> > >

> > > As I said in another thread on the TB mailing-list, I don't think we
> > > need to go through all the paperwork and meetings we did last time as I
> > > believe all of those flavours showed they're capable of dealing with the
> > > load of an LTS release.
> > >
> > > So flavour leads of Edubuntu, Kubuntu, Mythbuntu and Xubuntu, can you
> > >
> > > please let me know by replying to this e-mail:
> > >  - Whether you want LTS status this time around?
> > >  - How long will you be supporting the source packages which aren't
> > >
> > >    shared with Ubuntu itself?
> > >
> > > If any other flavour is interested in LTS status for 14.04, please
> > > prepare a wiki page similar to this one:
> > > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Edubuntu/12.04/LTS-Proposal
> > >
> > > And get in touch with the Technical Board (separate thread please) so we
> > > can review it and let you know our decision as soon as possible.
>
> Supporting a LTS for 5 years directly contradicts what we've decided earlier
> about LTS releases here [1] and should be reduced to 2 years for Kubuntu.
>
> Cheers
> Rohan Garg
>
> [1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kubuntu/Policies#Misc_.28.28NEW.29.29

I think you are misreading that.  It specifically talks about users potentially
needing to upgrade only every 4 years.

I'm in favor of 5 years myself.  That means that with a standard hardware life
of three years, hardware could live through even an extended warranty period
without having to be upgraded.  That's great for OEMs.  There are companies
that sell Kubuntu pre-installed and I'd like to make that easy.

Scott K