upcoming quality control

Harald Sitter apachelogger at ubuntu.com
Fri Feb 21 13:19:23 UTC 2014

Next week we are looking at a whole bunch of quality control deadlines [1]

- Wednesday: ubiquity slideshow review
- Thursday: l10n review #2
- Friday: ISO content review #2

We are now in feature freeze. That means that everyone should take a
particular interest in doing quality control. For the better part that
means getting the daily image (like once a week) and install it in a
VM or ultimately even a physical computer and then fiddle with the
applications that come by default and modifying the system as you
usually would after an installation. Adhoc l10n and application
specific reviews are also very welcome and if you poke me beforehand
I'll even join you :P

For ISO review:
If you think there is an application or library on the ISO that really
does not belong there, please do point this out. The previous review
yielded a bunch of possibly useless things already, but I am resonable
certain there still is quite a huge amount of packages that are next
to useless to us.

For L10n review:
Please do make sure that all the software recently uploaded to make
feature freeze does actually have translations. Since l10n #2 is the
final review, things that fall excessively out of line will see
drastic measures taken (I know at least one package that I actually
would absolutely do a revert upload on because it has a 100%
translation regression compared to 13.10).
Pokery to get our software localized (i.e. imported into launchpad and
exported into langpacks) will increase once this review is done.

[1] https://trello.com/b/sdTmhD0H/14-04-deadlines-quality-control

PS: I have played around with google forms as a short-term measure to
organize manual application smoke testing and due to lack of better
options I expect to publish a couple of application specific test sets
using google forms soon. This in particular will be for vital core
applications that tend to see a lot of change and therefore regression
(such as muon and our language magic).
Example form is here, if you have thoughts on structure etc. please poke me:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1MIE1hbjAABbhvXnq-Ys_JLYAbKu1pN_0nlc8wVYVXUg/viewform

Also It is probably worth stressing that this is a short term thing,
the ultimate goal is to have automated GUI test coverage and manual
test sets complement the automated testing (upstream).

HS