wiki business

Harald Sitter apachelogger at ubuntu.com
Wed Feb 12 23:23:47 UTC 2014

alohas,

sorry for the long mail, but I have to explain stuff a bit ^^
tldr: kubuntu wiki annoys me, might want to move to kde wiki, need to
cleanup kubuntu wiki first

some people (namely me) recently got (again) extremely unhappy with
our current wiki which is powerd by moinmoin. since we only use the
wiki for internal community documentation it seems to cause more
hazzle than it is helping us drive the community. right now login is
completely defunct when using the wiki.kubuntu domain and editing
moinmoin is as inefficient as it has been since forever. this in turn
may have made someone suggest that we could look into moving our
useful wiki pages (mostly ninjas documentation) to community.kde.org.

Valorie was nice enough to ask kde whether that's ok with them and
there was no opposition to the idea, so the decision now lies with us
(or rather, with the Kubuntu Council really).

brain dump list of pros:
- subectively mediawiki is easier to use
- kde's mediawikis have nice template sugar to write more appealing
and efficient pages (such as graphically distinct tip boxes and
whatnot)
- login works
- our internal processes and such may be more discoverable to other
distributions's KDE teams

brian dum list of cons:
- moves part of our stuff out of the ubuntu community, which may
appear as though we are moving away from ubuntu (which is obviously
not point of the exercise)
- makes our internal processes and such less discoverable to the wider
ubuntu community
- we'll probably not want to move everything, so a selected community
members will have to juggle two wikis (for example the pre-release
notes are traditionaly kept on the ubuntu wiki and share common
release notes business through wiki includes, so moving that seems
less useful)
- generally deludes the web service cohesion and branding a bit on our side

so, somewhat objectively whether one should move the stuff or not is
not exactly clear. for me however it's about getting the most useful
tools for our work and at least for me moinmoin does not deliver.

before having the council put this to a vote though I'd like to invite
everyone to clean up the current wiki. from random browsing it seems
that there are insanely outdated and useless pages along with some
also insanely outdated user documentation floating about. these need
to go, regardless of whether we move. for this purpose, simply browse
through our pages and add a category at the bottom of each page

you can add a category by appending the category name to the page content:
> ----
> CategoryKubuntuUseful

categories are:
- CategoryKubuntuUserDocs (user targetting documentation)
- CategoryKubuntuUseful (useful pages that should be kept around -
includes possibly outdated documentation that might want to be
updated)
- CategoryKubuntuReview (your's truly will have a closer look)
- CategoryKubuntuRubbish (should be deleted most likely)

after the cleanup we can then look into whether we want to move or stay.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kubuntu

TIA

HS