Kubuntu 12.04 repositories broken by partly KDE 5 upgrade

Christian Bjørnbak cbj at touristonline.dk
Tue Dec 30 19:44:44 UTC 2014

Thanks for your help. I now got a working KDE 4.14.2

To help other I'll describe my process.

I followed Jörn's advise and did the purge:

sudo ppa-purge ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports

Then I installed KDE again:

sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop kde-standard

After a reboot I had a working KDE with the original KDE 4.8.something

Then I readded backports and upgraded KDE:

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports

This gave me a broken sources.list file with a third line with "ain" which
I had to remove. After that:

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

This crashed under way so I had to do

sudo apt-get -f install

and then another

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

I believe what should have done was stop muon update when I saw had a big
KDE update and done a dist-upgrade instead.

I will try this on another pc tomorrow.

Med venlig hilsen / Kind regards,

Christian Bjørnbak

Chefudvikler / Lead Developer