Fwd [ubuntu-release] Please promote 64-bit images by default on the download pages

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Thu Sep 5 16:11:22 UTC 2013

On Thursday, September 05, 2013 21:20:51 Rohan Garg wrote:

> > >pages

> > >the 64-bit download. Read more"

> Quote from original email ^^ ( specifically for the desktop edition )

Thanks.  IIRC, there were Atom 32 systems sold with 2GB of RAM, but I'm not
100% sure.

I particularly don't think this should be done for 12.04 (as this proposes)
since multi-arch was in a much less deployed state back then.  For 12.04, I'd
also worry about a user wanting to install some third party 32 bit only
package and discovering it won't work due to some library not yet converted.
They end up then having to reinstall their system (or give up in disgust).

What advantage does running 64bit give a user that they would care about?

Scott K