Fwd [ubuntu-release] Please promote 64-bit images by default on the download pages

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Tue Sep 3 14:46:45 UTC 2013

Jonathan Riddell <jr at jriddell.org> wrote:
>Should we follow and recommend 64 bit?
>
>My gut feeling is that most people have 64 bit computers now and I
>trust the foundation team to have done the legwork to verify that.  So
>I'm in favour of it.

Most do, but there have been stacks of 32 bit only Atom netbooks sold in the last several years. Given that we want to be friendly to non-technical users, I think we should wait.

Try writing out the instructions for a non-technical user to figure out if they need a 32 bit image. I'm not sure how to do it.

I'd suggest we do this for 14.10.

Scott K