Fwd: Qt on PowerPC
noskcaj at ubuntu.com
Sun Sep 1 02:52:35 UTC 2013
Forwarded to kubuntu since it affects them too
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jackson Doak <noskcaj at ubuntu.com>
Date: Sun, Sep 1, 2013 at 8:36 AM
Subject: Qt on PowerPC
To: Julien Lavergne <gilir at ubuntu.com>,
"lubuntu-qa at lists.launchpad.net" <lubuntu-qa at lists.launchpad.net>,
Phill Whiteside <PhillW at ubuntu.com>
Currently most of Qt fails to build in ubuntu on powerpc. This is a
huge bug for us since LXDE is rather dependant on Qt.
Qt requiring google's v8 engine to work. The build log is at
. v8 is also used by chrome and chromium as a backend.
The FTBFS list is at http://qa.ubuntuwire.org/ftbfs/
One possible solution is using the un-official v8 port. The old
version is at https://github.com/ic/v8-powerpc and the new version at
To-Do list (in no particular order):
1. Investigate which packages don't actually need the js backend and
try to force them to build
2. Get julien to comment on this because he knows more than i do
3. Test both of the v8 git versions, see if either work well enough
for us to use.
4. package the v8 git version we choose to use and patch the other
code to be able to use it.
5. Contact the developers of the git versions for their help.
It would be great if we could have this working by 14.04
More information about the kubuntu-devel