Kubuntu Council Elections 2013 - Nominations Closed

Valorie Zimmerman valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com
Thu May 2 10:24:42 UTC 2013

On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 2:47 AM, Ho Wan Chan <smartboyhw at gmail.com> wrote:
> Valorie (and the other 3 election candidates) I have no problems asking
> questions over e-mail. So, here are my two questions:
>
> 1. After Canonical decided not to sponsor the Kubuntu Project, Kubuntu seems
> more unwelcoming to Canonical decisions. For example, on the vUDS + rolling
> release affair, both Jonathan Riddell (Riddell) and Harald Sitter
> (apachelogger) wrote blog posts that even alarmed Mark Shuttleworth (sabdfl)
> to reply. How would you try to improve the relations between Kubuntu and the
> general Ubuntu Community, or even better, Canonical?

Hmmm, I would characterize the events differently. We're all a part of
the Ubuntu community. Getting Kubuntu membership gives us Ubuntu
membership as well. Mark heads Canonical and as such, decisions there
are taken without our input. On the other hand, while he established
the Ubuntu project and gives himself final authority on major
decisions, it is a *community* project, and there we have a voice.
Dialog is where change happens, and a healthy dialog involves talking
and listening both. We read Mark's blog posts, he reads ours, we
listen when he talks at UDS and other meetings, and I believe that
when we talk, he listens as well.

At the one UDS I attended (Orlando), I talked with a lot of Canonical
employees and found them friendly and interested in my experiences and
opinions as a community member and Kubuntu user. Some of them are
Kubuntu users as well. :-)

We're involved in the wider Ubuntu community already. I just
represented Ubuntu Washington this past weekend at LinuxFest
NorthWest, as I've done in past years. I'm an active member of Ubuntu
Women, and have presented Kubuntu at Open Week before, as well as
running local Ubuntu events for my loco. I run torrents for ALL the
Ubuntu flavor ISOs, and have been doing that for awhile.

A few sharp differences of opinion are nothing to worry about. We all
feel safe expressing ourselves, and expect to listen to our peers as
they listen to us. Dialog is what it's all about.

> 2. Jonathan's blog post (
> http://blogs.kde.org/2013/03/06/ubuntu-community-community) has made some
> other Ubuntu official distributions a bit worried. There are IRC discussions
> in Xubuntu's development channel and mailing list discussions in Lubuntu's
> mailing lists. For most of them discussing, they felt unhappy. Of course
> Jonathan has disclaimed that he isn't trying to tether up relations with
> other people or flavours (I believe that), but then, how would you try to
> establish better relations with other flavours?

I participated in a vUDS session with a Xubuntu guy, and that went
well. I don't have time to spend in all the flavor IRC channels, but I
suppose randomly popping in occasionally would be a good move. I think
all the flavors already participate with one another in LoCos, in the
various Councils, on the wiki, forum and lists. I know that we have
people from most if not all the flavors in the Ubuntu Women project.
By the way, I consider Unity just one more flavor, even if it is the
standard now.

I hope that Canonical decides that spending money on a few community
people each release for a real, face-to-face UDS is worthwhile. The
virtual version is no replacement, in my opinion. There is nothing
that creates friendships more than actually hanging out together.
Short of that happening, I suppose the vUDS and IRC will have to do.
Oh, and all of us who can, participating in our LoCos and other Ubuntu
activities, outlets, councils, and so forth.

--
http://about.me/valoriez