ddebs for Kubuntu PPA's

Myriam Schweingruber myriam at kde.org
Thu Mar 28 11:57:17 UTC 2013

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 12:15 PM, Rohan Garg <rohangarg at kubuntu.org> wrote:
> Hi everyone
> There was a trello card on the board to request ddebs for our Kubuntu
> PPA's. So I opened a question a couple of weeks ago on Launchpad [1]
>
> However this will massively increase PPA sizes as mentioned by wgrant
> on the Question. There's also the question of what to do with the
> existing -dbg packages. Since I'm not on IRC alot these days I'm
> opening this discussion on the mailing list to get everyone's feedback
> on whether we should go ahead with this.

There seems to be a bigger downside than the size requirements:(quoting wgrant)

"This will massively increase the space requirements of the PPAs, and
prevent you from ever copying the binaries into the primary archive.
Do you still want ddebs enabled?"

Not sure this is a good idea. We don't have to follow everything
Debian does, and the -dbg packages are much easier to handle from the
user POV. We sure do need an easy to use debugging system so the users
don't have to go through hoops to submit valid crash reports, but not
make our work more difficult.

What needs to be avoided is to end up in a system where there are no
easy ways for the users to have debugging symbols available when they
actually want to file the bug. There is the other extreme: having no
-dbg symbols like Arch does, and making basically all crash reports
from arch users useless, unless they recompile the package.

Regards, Myriam

http://www.fsfe.org