[kubuntu-devel] Kubuntu installation general observations

Jonathan Riddell jr at jriddell.org
Tue Mar 19 15:55:35 UTC 2013

On Mon, Mar 04, 2013 at 04:08:06PM +0000, Mark Fraser wrote:
> I have done 3 installs of Kubuntu over the past week (12.10 32 bit, 12.10 64
> bit and 13.04 64 bit) and I have some general observations of this post
> install.

Thanks for trying it out and for your feedback.

> 1) It doesn't seem possible to enable "Set date and time automatically" in the
> Date & Time control module. It fails with an error after clicking on OK or
> Apply. I have tried searching bugs.kde.org, but some say it should be fixed
> already.

This seems like a slightly buggy module in general, for me it works
but the "Set date and time automatically" box does not stay ticked.  Do you still get the error with 4.10.1 ?

> 2) In System Settings > Application Appearance and Oxygen configure, why is
> "Windows' drag mode" set to Drag windows from all empty areas? Surely this is
> confusing for a new user who won't expect things to move when accidentally
> dragging on an empty area of the window.

That's the default settings from upstream KDE and is a pretty useful features I've found.

> 3) Also in Application Appearance, Graphical effects is set to low display
> resolution and high CPU. Shouldn't this be set to low CPU to start with?

I don't know what this actually does, but as with most settings we just leave it as the KDE authors set it, almost always they know best.

> 4) With the install of 12.10 on a netbook, I changed the workspace behaviour
> to desktop and noticed that the minimise icon was missing from all windows. I
> had to go into Workspace Appearance and set the buttons back to default.

Best report this upstream on bugs.kde.org, although it's probably not very well maintained alas.

> I'm fairly happy with how 13.04 is going, but one problem I'm experiencing at
> the moment is that file indexing isn't running - everything is ticked, but it
> just says that it isn't running. Any ideas?

Has it done all there is to index?  Are you low on battery?

Jonathan