Ubiquity Slideshow

Harald Sitter sitter.harald at gmail.com
Wed Mar 13 15:23:48 UTC 2013

On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 4:13 PM, Volkan Gezer <volkangezer at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2013/3/13 Harald Sitter <sitter.harald at gmail.com>:
> > On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 1:22 AM, Volkan Gezer <volkangezer at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> Today I noticed the openSUSE welcome video. What about doing something
> >> similar for installation if user has access to internet? Maybe voice
> >> can be only English, but subtitles may be added for localization.
> >

> > Feel free to organize this.
> >

> OK, but before, I have some questions:
>
> *I know everything should be out-of-the-box and the display language
> will remain in English. For this, do you think it is OK to use a
> Virtual OS? It will reduce the performance a little bit and the window
> manager effects, etc will be disabled... Do you recommend any tweaks
> for VirtualPC for this?

You won't get full desktop effects in a virtual setup, at least I have not
seen this working a 100% recently. So really this ought to be recorded on
an actual native installation with sane graphics drivers.

> *Until what time should this be prepared?

Well, it does not need to be tied into the release, however if you want it
to be the video is required before mid-april at the latest.

> *Will it be possible to include .webm (or any other formats you
> prefer) before everything is installed? I could record a full-hd (or
> 720p) videos for maximizing the video screen.

No. What I would do is have it uploaded somewhere (youtube?) and then HTML5
play it (should be working just fine in qtwebkit). Another option would be
to explicitly upload it as webm somewhere and HTML5 play it. To that extent
I think a recording should be of sensible resolution; one can always scale
down ;)

> *Do you have any preference or wishlist to add in the beginning as a
> slogan (of course except for Friendly Computing ;) ) or as an
> introductory video?

Nothing comes to mind :)

HS