Browser selection from Ubiquity

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Thu Jan 31 19:36:59 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 2:07 PM, Rohan Garg <rohangarg at kubuntu.org> wrote:

> Hi everyone
> Since the default browser seems to be a fairly hot topic in Kubuntu
> I'd like to propose the following :
>
> * Keep rekonq as the default browser
> * Add a new browser selection page in Ubiquity right after the
> "Prepare" page which allows the user to pick one of the the 3
> available choices Firefox/Chromium/Rekonq ( rekonq selected by default
> )
>
> Pro's : People don't complain (loudly) about our browser selection
>            For people trying out Kubuntu for the first time who know
> nothing about packages and how to install software, it gives them an
> easy way to choose a more feature complete browser.
>
> Con's : Adds another step in the installer
>
> While some people might argue that users might not be able to choose
> one over the other, this will not hold true for most of the users
> since we can safely assume that they have used/heard about either one
> of the browsers in the past and already have a preference.
>
> I've also heard some issues being raised about chromium not having a
> security cycle in tune with our release cycle, but it seems that
> Lubuntu ships Chromium as their default browser.
>
> I'd like to hear everyone's opinions on this.
>
> Regards
> Rohan Garg

Personally I wouldn't do that. If a user is smart enough for wanting
another browser, he should be able to go and install it himself.

Maybe here the problem is that Kubuntu is not advertising the software
centers properly.
>From my side, if there's anything we can do to improve this situation from
Muon, I think it would be a huge step forward, and not only for browsers,
but other areas could benefit from such deals. Maybe rekonq can provide a
list of alternatives and use muon to install them? Afterall, chromium
already suggests you other browsers, IIRC.

Additionally, you didn't mention in the Con's that it means to add GTK
dependencies, which I'm fine with by the way, but AFAIK right now ubuntu
forked the kde-gtk-config package to not need GTK.

Aleix