Browser selection from Ubiquity

Clay Weber clay at claydoh.com
Thu Jan 31 18:56:52 UTC 2013

Scott Kitterman <ubuntu at kitterman.com> wrote:

>Rohan Garg <rohangarg at kubuntu.org> wrote:
>
>>Hi everyone
>>Since the default browser seems to be a fairly hot topic in Kubuntu
>>I'd like to propose the following :
>>
>>* Keep rekonq as the default browser
>>* Add a new browser selection page in Ubiquity right after the
>>"Prepare" page which allows the user to pick one of the the 3
>>available choices Firefox/Chromium/Rekonq ( rekonq selected by default
>>)
>>
>>Pro's : People don't complain (loudly) about our browser selection
>>           For people trying out Kubuntu for the first time who know
>>nothing about packages and how to install software, it gives them an
>>easy way to choose a more feature complete browser.
>>
>>Con's : Adds another step in the installer
>>
>>While some people might argue that users might not be able to choose
>>one over the other, this will not hold true for most of the users
>>since we can safely assume that they have used/heard about either one
>>of the browsers in the past and already have a preference.
>>
>>I've also heard some issues being raised about chromium not having a
>>security cycle in tune with our release cycle, but it seems that
>>Lubuntu ships Chromium as their default browser.
>>
>>I'd like to hear everyone's opinions on this.
>
>If we're going to put Firefox on our install media we should just make
>it default.   It's the only browser in the archive with proper security
>support.  In the long run that's a really, really essential feature for
>browsers.
>
>The fact that Lubuntu made a different choice should not sway us a bit.
>
>I believe we should make opinionated choices to give our users a safe,
>functional, KDE experience.  For different applications,  the priority
>of those factors will be different. For a web browser, I think that's
>the correct order.
>
>If Firefox doesn't fit, then we throw the first two out and ship
>rekonq.
>
>Scott K
>

>--

I have to agree here. Unless we can have at the minimum working open-with support, Firefox is a poor choice to even offer as an option.

Choosing a rounded, useful selection of software is key to Kubuntu being Kubuntu.

I don't like the idea of having extra choices in the installer, it doesn't fit in with my last statement, above and opens the door to more bloat and busyness.
--
Sent from my Android phone with K-9 Mail.