Change the default settings of Kubuntu to improve the first time user experience

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Thu Jan 24 05:10:36 UTC 2013

On Wednesday, January 23, 2013 08:14:48 PM Rohan Garg wrote:
> Please not that we cannot ship some multimedia things like libav due
> to patent issues as a result of which apps like vlc cannot be shipped
> ( and by extension, same thing goes for chromium though I am not
> entirely sure about that, maybe someone can offer a better explanation
> of why we can't ship chromium as the default ).

There is only one browser in the archive with adequate security support and
that's Firefox.  The lack of piles of qtwebkit/reqkonq security uploads
doesn't mean they are an order of magnitude better about security than
Firefox, just that we don't know what the issues are.  Chromium gets some
maintenance, but it's not a reliably updated as Firefox.  Given the volume and
scope of web browser security issues, I think it's crazy to be using anything
else.

Scott K