[kubuntu-devel] Re: Change the default settings of Kubuntu to improve the first time

Jonathan Riddell jriddell at ubuntu.com
Wed Jan 23 16:58:08 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 03:14:13PM +0100, Tomasz Dudzik wrote:
>    -change the default /home folder icons (music, doc, etc)

We did used to do this in KDE 3 times, it's mostly an implementation question, how to get the necessary .directory files in the directories by default?

> -add avatar and
>    wifi connecting support to installer

There's some more pressing work needing done in the installer, but anyone wanting to get stuck into some python on this very welcome.

> -add KDEWEB accounts, run it on the
>    first kubuntu start after installation

Just waiting for afiestas to declaire it ready.

> -add notification-helper for kipi
>    plugins (first gwenview start)

Yes I'd like this, although it's already in kubuntu-restricted-addons so it'll get installed if you tick the tickbox in the installer.

>- add default wallpaper package or atleast
>    a few cool ones

wallpapers take up space so adding more means removing applications or languages

> -improve lightdm default them: move system buttons to
>    center, use monochromatic icons, 48x48

designs welcome, or nudge upstream d_ed

> -switch to chrome/chromium

chromium doesn't have security updates for our support period.

>    -finally fix or remove the sharing KCM form systemsetings. Why is this
>    thing stuck for so long?!

rbelem what's the status on this?

> -make user configuration USER FRIENDLY

afiestas is on the case