Raring Alpha 2 Live CD does not enable Compositing

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Fri Feb 15 16:49:20 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I just gave a try to the Alpha 2 live CD and had to notice that compositing is
not enabled by default. I think this is a very bad choice as you don't allow
users to experience the full chances of Kubuntu. This results in the in
general bad screenshots in media as people try in virtual machines (e.g. [1]).
I would appreciate if this default could be changed.

The system I tested on is perfectly capable of running OpenGL based desktop
effects (after all it's one of my development systems) and pressing
Alt+Shift+F12 enabled Desktop Effects successfully in the live system.

I can only assume that Compositing is disabled by default because it used to
be problematic especially with NVIDIA on live systems. This is no longer the
case. For one thing the drivers work properly and KWin has a wonderful driver
feature detection and can enable features based on driver and GPU. Also there
is nothing to fear even if the driver is broken. KWin disables Compositing
automatically.

I have not heard of a real problem like an unusable desktop due to Compositing
in years.

An additional note: I checked which Qt graphicssystem is used on the live CD
for KWin and it's native. That is not Qt's default and a pretty bad default
for KWin, we prefer to have the raster system.

If you have any questions please let me know and I am happy to answer them.
Please keep me in CC as I'm not subscribed to the mailing list.

--
Martin Gräßlin

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Kubuntu_12.jpg