Project Neon and stable branches

Philip Muskovac yofel at gmx.net
Tue Feb 12 23:45:26 UTC 2013

Hi,

# with my Project Neon Maintainer Hat on: #

=== Short Version: ===
Doable with a bit of work if it's useful

=== Long Version: ===

What this would need at least:
- another ~ 15-20GiB Repository to hold the packages.
   (that's counting packages for 2 kubuntu releases)
- new source code imports for all stable branches
- new recipes for all of them.

Creating the source code imports and the recipes isn't too much work
considering one can script that.
It could require forking some of the packaging branches, but that's not
too much work either.
Project Neon by itself is pretty low maintenance. It's mostly checking
package dependencies every now and then and keeping up with the git
transition and new components.

The question here would be how many people would use this so it's worth
the trouble to set it up and the additional load it would put on
Launchpad's infrastructure.
If this would really help the kde-quality team it could be done though
with not too much work.

# with my Kubntu Developer hat on: #

=== Going off topic: ===

We (me and Harald IIRC) were talking on IRC once how viable it would be
to actually make daily builds of our official distribution packages.
+ One can always test the latest source code
+ It would help enable us to provide beta releases faster as we would be
able to prepare the packaging even before tagging.
+ You would actually have proper language bindings which project-neon
doesn't have. (I *tried* to get python to work, it's one big PITA)
- It would add several hundred new branches on Launchpad as we would
need to branch off for the stable releases.
- What would the branches follow? Currently they follow the development
release. But upstream git isn't what's in the archive. (Stable releases
would be another thing if we branch those off anyway)
- Fairly high maintenance as one needs to constantly keep up with
upstream changes.

Opinions from the rest of the Team?

Regards,
Philip