Browser selection from Ubiquity

James Cain james.cain.25 at
Mon Feb 4 21:44:08 UTC 2013

On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 4:21 PM, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu at>wrote:

> On Monday, February 04, 2013 04:08:26 PM James Cain wrote:
> > I'll circle back to a comment above and if forced to choose one default,
> > I'd vote for Firefox with the Firefox Blue Shell PPA enabled by default.
> > Either way, it is how I personally set up new users in Kubuntu and will
> > continue to do so.
> That's not something we can do.
> Scott K

I understand, Scott. In my (admittedly naive reasoning), if we can package
Kubuntu versions of Ubuntu packages, i.e. kubuntu-restricted-extras and
apturl-kde, why can't we make the KDE-friendly modifications made by the
Blue Shell PPA a requirement for Firefox in Kubuntu? I'm guessing that it
could only be included officially if there's a Kubuntu developer willing to
commit to maintain it, and move it to an official Kubuntu PPA? Since Blue
Shell devs are also Kubuntu Devs (AFAIK) is this really an issue?

I don't want to totally bikeshed this thread, so I'll drop out of the
discussion after this post. At the end of the day, if rekonq isn't up to
snuff as a viable replacement for Firefox/Chrome, then it shouldn't be the
default. Kubuntu is the only Community flavor of Ubuntu that ships
upstream's browser by default. There are GTK-based browsers out there, but
they are not included by default elsewhere. Having rekonq as the default
browser when every other official *buntu variant uses Firefox or Chromium
will be a turn-off for at least a certain percentage of anyone trying out
Kubuntu for the first time. Anything that could provide a "WTF" moment to a
new user should be eliminated.

Thanks for listening :)

James Cain