Uploading upstart tomorrow, turning on user sessions for everyone

Jonathan Riddell jr at jriddell.org
Mon Aug 26 13:42:29 UTC 2013

I've not found any problems with adding /etc/upstart-xsessions with with kde-plasma but more testers would be good

----- Forwarded message from Stéphane Graber <stgraber at ubuntu.com> -----

Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 09:00:04 -0400
From: Stéphane Graber <stgraber at ubuntu.com>
To: gilir at ubuntu.19inch.net, com at castiana.19inch.net, jriddell at ubuntu.com,
	knome at ubuntu.com, jbicha at ubuntu.com
Subject: Uploading upstart tomorrow, turning on user sessions for everyone

Hi,

I talked to every one of you independently a while back about enabling
Upstart user sessions for the desktop environment used in your flavours.

Back then I said I'd wait a couple of weeks then switch to that by
default, unfortunately due to other work commitments, traveling and
conferences I never quite got to that. With Feature Freeze fast
approaching, I'm now planning to do that tommorow unless one of you has
a very good reason not to go ahead.

The change I'd be pushing would basically be adding the following to
/etc/upstart-xsessions:
ubuntustudio
xfce
xubuntu
kde-plasma
Lubuntu
Lubuntu-Netbook
lubuntu-nexus7
lxgames
qlubuntu
gnome
gnome-fallback
gnome-fallback-compiz

All of those were tested a while back and confirmed not to cause any
obvious regressions. Some extra testers for each flavour have been
playing with that and so far I've not heard of any problem caused by
this, so I'm pretty confident it should be a painless change.

--
Stéphane Graber
Ubuntu developer