Kubuntu is not for beginners?

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Tue Aug 6 06:02:32 UTC 2013

On Tuesday, August 06, 2013 00:52:30 Little Girl wrote:
> Hey there,
>
> Valorie Zimmerman wrote:
> > I know this is rather old, but I missed it when it was fresh.
> > Replies inline below.
>
> Same.
>
> > I think we make Kubuntu "beginner friendly" by providing clear
> > choices during installation and early use.
>
> Agreed that that's an important part of Kubuntu being "beginner
> friendly" since that's the time period when a potential new user is
> most likely to be frightened away.
>
> As someone who has recently installed Kubuntu 3 times, I'd like to
> bring up a pet peeve that I've had for years with the Kubuntu
> installer:
>
> When you install Kubuntu your window consists of:
>
> - A panel on the left that contains a list of the steps you'll be
>   taking to get through the installation.
>
> - A panel on the right that has the contents of the current step in
>   it.
>
> When you're on one of the steps relatively early on (I think it's the
> one where you partition your drives), there is an *Install* or
> *Install Kubuntu* button (sorry, can't remember exactly what's on
> it) at the bottom of the right pane. Meanwhile, you can clearly see
> that there are steps in the left pane that you have not yet completed,
> and it's disconcerting to think that Kubuntu will now install without
> you getting the chance to complete those steps.
>
> My suggestion is to replace that button with a *Continue* or *Next*
> button like the rest of the steps have. Just my two cents. (:

This is the step where the actual installation starts.  The steps that come
after collect information that's not needed until almost the end of the
process.  The reason it's the way it is now is to try and communicate that
this is when the actual install starts.

I can see your point, but we need to also not surprise people at this point
when the installation actually starts.

Scott K