kde's caches and encrypted homes

Harald Sitter sitter.harald at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 07:44:58 UTC 2012

On Sun, Nov 11, 2012 at 9:20 PM, Philip Muskovac <yofel at gmx.net> wrote:

> You could set KDEVARTMP if encryption is used (not sure how to reliably
> auto-detect that, but maybe it would be sufficient for ubiquity to enable
> that).

short of writing that in /etc/envrionment (which is a bit spooky) I don't
really see another option to handle this automatically :/

> But the same then goes for KDETMP as well as /tmp is neither encrypted nor
> a tmpfs by default.

tmp is cleaned regardless of the fstype, also apps should not store any
important data there at all anyway

> From a performance point I don't think it would matter that much. Maybe
> login would get a second slower or so while it decrypts the cached stuff.

kdecache holds *all* pixmap caches + sycoca + http cache. of course only
the former two will have an impact on login speed but that impact should be
noticable as we are talking about ~85MiB plasma caches (theme + wallpapers)
+ >10 MiB icons + ~1MiB ksplash +  >1MiB sycoca... almost 100MiB of crap
that needs to be loaded right at startup

HS