kde's caches and encrypted homes

Harald Sitter apachelogger at ubuntu.com
Sun Nov 11 14:03:12 UTC 2012

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/kde4libs/+bug/786150

tldr: kde software by default caches stuff in /var which is not covered by
home encryption

Scott's take on this is that if this concerns a user they should be using
full disk encryption as this can happen with many applications, not just
KDE software.

While I agree with the general statement I do not think encrypting the
entire disk is a viable solution what with having quite the impact on
performance. At the same time looking at this form a performance POV, the
reason caches are in /var is because they potentially change a lot and the
less ever-changing stuff I have encrypted the better.

Yet the issue highlighted is a real one and needs some solution, be it to
document possible workarounds or fiddle with the home encryption magic to
force kde's caches into $HOME.

Thoughts?