Kubuntu and main/universe

Harald Sitter apachelogger at ubuntu.com
Wed May 23 13:06:03 UTC 2012

On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 2:57 PM, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu at kitterman.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday, May 23, 2012 08:44:37 AM Jonathan Thomas wrote:
>> I think moving from main would be beneficial to us. Currently, there
>> are several Kubuntu packages with optional build-dependencies on
>> universe components providing extra functionality that we cannot build
>> against. In addition to us missing out on a few nice features, it also
>> makes packaging diffs with Debian just a bit larger, which is
>> undesirable. In my experience, I don't think there's any protest
>> amongst the Kubuntu team about whether or not a move from main ->
>> universe is desirable, but I'll let them speak for themselves. ;-)
>
> This is a good point that I forgot to write.  My preference to stay in Main is
> not strong as I see the benefits of moving, but I would still prefer to stay in
> Main if we can.

Does it have to be either or? Couldn't we mixed seed?
i.e. have most of our stuff in main, and when necessary demote/keep
packages in universe to accommodate the build dep issue highlighted

FWIW, having to compromise on available features because a build dep
was not worth getting it into main (or simply does not qualify for
legal reasons) always annoyed me.

HS