kdesudo and the config problem

Jonathan Thomas echidnaman at gmail.com
Sat May 12 16:37:08 UTC 2012

Hello,

In my opinion, we should definitely move away from having applications
that need their GUIs run as root to perform authorized actions. Polkit
is The Way Forward(tm) in regards to this. The idea behind Polkit is
that you have a small, non-gui helper application for performing
actions that require admin authorization, communicating with the GUI
over DBUS.

Already, we have both QApt (and by extension the Muon Suite) as well
as the Usb Creator KDE frontend as examples of this paradigm. (Some
upstream stuff has also migrated to this, including various parts of
KDE's System Settings as well as K3b's KCM Module.

What we need to do is to create a list of applications where launching
a GUI with root is necessary for a particular usecase, and see what
needs to be done for Polkit integration.

Using kdesudo's rdepends gives us a good start:
  update-manager-kde - Runs entirely as root
  libmuonprivate1 - Used to invoke software-properties-kde
  kubuntu-desktop - Included as part of the seed
  apturl-kde - Unsure
  kubuntu-active - Included as part of the seed
  hplip-gui - Runs as root
  gdebi-kde - Runs as root, deprecated in Kubuntu w/
qapt-deb-installer as a replacement, using Polkit
  kubuntu-full - Included as part of the seed
  kubuntu-desktop - Included as part of the seed

Additionally, the usecase of saving a file in a directory the user
does not have permissions for seems to be the biggest driver for
running a GUI as root. The way to solve this would be to add a Polkit
helper in to the kfile stuff in kdelibs. I do not know how much of a
hassle this would be, as I do not know if the kfile save api is
asynchronous currently. (It would need to be, as it requires
communicating with the helper over DBus.)

This is only taking KDE software in to consideration, however. For the
issue of GTK application theming, we would have to rely on the wider
OSS community to cooperate in a shift towards Polkit for the "just use
polkit for everything" approach to work as a solution.

Anyways, file saving in KDE aside, it doesn't look like it would take
too much effort to at least kick kdesudo off the CD by default. (Or at
least remove the need for kdesudo with our default sofware set) I
think it's something we should definitely invest in.