KDE Telepathy or Kopete

Jussi Kekkonen tmt at ubuntu.com
Thu Mar 29 11:44:39 UTC 2012

A comment about " MSN (for example) are known to change their
protocol and after a while not allow anyone using the older version."

Kopete uses external library for msn/wlm for a reason, and thus far
there's been volunteers finding and fixing what's been changed on
other protocols (sans IRC, ofcourse)

So I don't think that's a valid argument on deciding this.

Me? I would love to see both, unfortunately. Kopete as default, KTP as
recommended alternative.

On 29 March 2012 07:01, Tres Finocchiaro <fatbuttlarry at gmail.com> wrote:
> My vote is to move forward.
>
> I haven't used an IM client for over a year, except at work, where we use
> Pidgin + SIPE for compatibility with Microsoft Office Communicator.
>
> Google Voice works just fine through the web browser, and I've given up on
> support for it on the desktop.
>
> The indicator missing is definitely a loss, but as previous have said, it's
> very similar to dropping Pidgin or Gimp from Ubuntu.  First look at your
> target audience, then weigh the impact of removing Kopete against the gains
> of switching to KTP, then have the power users apt-get what's missing.
>  Empathy didn't work with Google Chat out-of-the-box, and somehow, people
> seemed to get by.
>
> I've been sick of Kopete for so long, I'd even vote Pidgin over it.
>
> -Tres
>
> On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 2:31 PM, David Wonderly <david.wonderly at kubuntu.org>
> wrote:

>> > +1 from me for KTP.  I rarely found myself using Kopete and find myself
>> > running kde-telepathy all the time, mostly because it's easy to use with
>> > gtalk and facebook.
>> >
>> > But I'm happy enough to be voted down by kubuntu-council on that,
>> advantages
>> > either way.
>> >
>> > Jonathan
>>
>> While I see the benifits of having one over the other, the question should
>> be
>> what one are we willing to support for the next 5 years? This is an LTS
>> release and if Kopete is going to dissipear in the next 5 years and be
>> fully
>> replaced by KPT then I would think that KPT would be the way to go.
>>
>> So, if KPT is being maintained and has developers and Kopete doesn't, I
>> think
>> for a support view KPT would be the way to go. Either one has pros and
>> cons.
>>
>> Cheers!
>>
>> Dave
>>
>> --