KDE Telepathy or Kopete

Tres Finocchiaro fatbuttlarry at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 04:01:54 UTC 2012

My vote is to move forward.

I haven't used an IM client for over a year, except at work, where we use
Pidgin + SIPE for compatibility with Microsoft Office Communicator.

Google Voice works just fine through the web browser, and I've given up on
support for it on the desktop.

The indicator missing is definitely a loss, but as previous have said, it's
very similar to dropping Pidgin or Gimp from Ubuntu.  First look at your
target audience, then weigh the impact of removing Kopete against the gains
of switching to KTP, then have the power users apt-get what's missing.  Empathy
didn't work with Google Chat
out-of-the-box<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/empathy/+bug/477233>,
and somehow, people seemed to get by.

I've been sick of Kopete for so long, I'd even vote Pidgin over it.

-Tres