KDE Telepathy or Kopete

Harald Sitter apachelogger at ubuntu.com
Tue Mar 27 21:34:44 UTC 2012

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 6:47 PM, David Edmundson
<david at davidedmundson.co.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 5:38 PM, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu at kitterman.com> wrote:
>> On Tuesday, March 27, 2012 05:29:57 PM Harald Sitter wrote:
>>> Lo'
>>>
>>> As we do not agree on whether we agree on a decision I'd like everyone
>>> to cast a vote in favor of KTP or Kopete as default for 12.04. The
>>> relevant discussion can be found at [1].
>>
>> My vote is for Kopete.
>>
>> There are four reasons for this:
>>
>> 1.  LTS is not the time to make a major technology change.  This should be
>> done in LTS +1.
>>
>> 2.  Not integrated to our desktop - I think Message Indicator support is
>> essential unless we drop this from our default panel layout.  There are other
>> feature parity issues, but I think this is the critical one.
>>
>> 3.  KTP upstream request (in this thread):
>>
>>> Personally I'd rather you kept Kopete for now but I can see why you
>>> don't want to maintain Kopete backends for another 3 years.
>>
>> 4.  Maintainability.
>>
>> That last point might require a bit of discussion as I think it's somewhat
>> backwards from the way most would look at it.
>>
>> I don't think we need to worry a lot about Kopete maintenance other than
>> security issues.  It does what it does.  It doesn't do what it doesn't do.
>> The code doesn't churn much from release to release, so there's not a lot of
>> risk that a year or two from now some serious performance bug will be
>> identified that someone will have to figure out without help from (the almost
>> dead) upstream.
>
> That's not entirely true in the case of IM. IM is a bit different
> because it relies on servers and protocols (often reversed engineered)
> which can randomly change. MSN (for example) are known to change their
> protocol and after a while not allow anyone using the older version.

Mind that kopete has outsourced MSN support to libmsn, so this
particular protocol is not a problem. However the point is still
valid, though given that kopete is part of many many distributions,
and therefore used by quite a few people, we would by no means be
alone with a desire to fix a protocol breakage. I personally would
count on the larger floss community to keep it working just as good as
now for at least a couple more years. KDE 3.5 is still getting fixes
despite upstream not maintaining it for 5 years now. Being
unmaintained and being uanble to support it in a distro release are in
parctise very different things. Another example that just came to mind
is xine... ;)

HS