KDE Telepathy or Kopete

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Tue Mar 27 16:47:40 UTC 2012

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 5:38 PM, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu at kitterman.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday, March 27, 2012 05:29:57 PM Harald Sitter wrote:
>> Lo'
>>
>> As we do not agree on whether we agree on a decision I'd like everyone
>> to cast a vote in favor of KTP or Kopete as default for 12.04. The
>> relevant discussion can be found at [1].
>
> My vote is for Kopete.
>
> There are four reasons for this:
>
> 1.  LTS is not the time to make a major technology change.  This should be
> done in LTS +1.
>
> 2.  Not integrated to our desktop - I think Message Indicator support is
> essential unless we drop this from our default panel layout.  There are other
> feature parity issues, but I think this is the critical one.
>
> 3.  KTP upstream request (in this thread):
>
>> Personally I'd rather you kept Kopete for now but I can see why you
>> don't want to maintain Kopete backends for another 3 years.
>
> 4.  Maintainability.
>
> That last point might require a bit of discussion as I think it's somewhat
> backwards from the way most would look at it.
>
> I don't think we need to worry a lot about Kopete maintenance other than
> security issues.  It does what it does.  It doesn't do what it doesn't do.
> The code doesn't churn much from release to release, so there's not a lot of
> risk that a year or two from now some serious performance bug will be
> identified that someone will have to figure out without help from (the almost
> dead) upstream.

That's not entirely true in the case of IM. IM is a bit different
because it relies on servers and protocols (often reversed engineered)
which can randomly change. MSN (for example) are known to change their
protocol and after a while not allow anyone using the older version.

So a bug can "appear" later, which doesn't exist now. Which is awful
but quite likely.