kde telepathy?

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Mon Mar 5 20:13:39 UTC 2012

On Monday, February 13, 2012 05:40:31 PM Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> Rohan and friends have got kde-telepathy to a place where it's ready to be
> uploaded which I'm doing now.
> We need testers to decide if it's better or worse than kopete.
> kde-telepathy is new and not well tested.  kopete is old and
> unmaintained.  We have to decide by feature freeze on thursday.
> Testers add this PPA
> https://launchpad.net/~telepathy-kde/+archive/ppa
> and install kde-telepathy and run "contacts" from k-menu or alt-f2.

I did finally get a chance to test it today.  I didn't find any advantages for
AIM (the protocol I tested) for KDE telepathy.  In addition to the previously
discussed lack of encryption support (not happening for Precise) and lack of
message indicator integration (hopefully happening), I did find another issue:

https://launchpad.net/bugs/947430 - Actions on notifications not working

This is a big deal for me personally and it would be nice if someone could
figure it out.  I checked and the actions work just fine from Kopete on the same
system, so I don't think it's KDE 4.8 or some more general issue.

Scott K