seed changes in quantal

James james.cain.25 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 23 04:11:37 UTC 2012

On Friday, June 22, 2012 10:29:38 AM Scott Kitterman wrote:
> On Friday, June 22, 2012 11:28:30 AM Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> > libreoffice -> calligra - experimental for now, people will moan about
> > inability to save in MS Office formats, but libreoffice is just as buggy I
> > feel, MS Office import is better in calligra, fits in better with the KDE
> > focused aspect of Kubuntu
>
> Consider the moaning to have started then.  If this is the path we're on,
> then what's the answer to the question, "How do I get an MS Office format
> document so I can send it to someone?"
>
> I've found this doesn't just affect me, but also my children as they have to
> turn in word and powerpoint files routinely for homework assignments.  I
> have one child starting University soon and the University's computer
> requirements were that you could bring any computer you wanted as long as
> it had MS Office.
>
> For documents that will only exist electronically locally, ODF is great, but
> it's not on any practical basis a means for exchange of files which is more
> and more how documents are managed.
>
> If there's a decent converter that we can install so that someone can click
> on an icon and convert it, maybe that's good enough, but the ability to
> save if Office formats is not optional.

It depends on your point of view I suppose. If, as I've heard many people here
state over the years, the goal of Kubuntu is to be the best KDE distro in the
world, then I think personally that Calligra has fully arrived and is now
useable. It also has the added benefit of having more modules than LO with
Krita, Karbon, and Braindump, et all.

In using it (albeit not daily) these last few months, I have yet to be able to
crash a Calligra application (wish I could say the same for Kontact, but I
digress...)

So, with said goal for the board of Kubuntu directly, and with LO a mere
download away (along with OOo and others), I do think it makes sense to have
Calligra as a standard.

As for the general idea that MS Office interopability is a hard requirement for
an office suite, I personally don't buy it given that there are viable
alternatives available. Please note that I am by no means discounting the
reality of many people's work and academic requirements.

Lastly, even if the core Calligra Dev's have maked MS Office formats export as a
"Won't Fix" (I do beleive I have read this somewhere myself) that doen't mean
anyone needing these features can't file a bug report in the meantime.

- James Cain (ronnoc)