seed changes in quantal

Felix Geyer debfx at ubuntu.com
Fri Jun 22 17:02:57 UTC 2012

On 22.06.2012 18:26, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> On Friday, June 22, 2012 06:06:10 PM Felix Geyer wrote:
>>> language-selector dropped, patch added to kcm locale to install language
>>> packs
>> This seems like another rushed change without discussion. The new solution
>> doesn't support installing translation packages for anything other than the
>> default Kubuntu applications. Support for installing input methods,
>> dictionaries and also setting the system language is completely missing.
>> Even when Ubuntu ditches the language-selector frontend the data currently
>> provided by /usr/share/language-selector/data/pkg_depends will still be
>> available.
> We did discuss moving off the Launchpad infrastructure for translations (I
> think) at the last Kubuntu meeting.  I'm certainly not surprised by it.  I'd
> expect this is a work in progress.

Right, but this is an unrelated change. It has nothing to do with the
Launchpad translation infrastructure.

It's about installing the right language support packages for the
packages and languages that you install.

Examples are dictionaries, fonts, input methods, libreoffice-l10n-
(if you have LO installed), language-pack-gnome- (if you have a gnome
application installed).

Felix