Overview of Jockey replacement; options for Kubuntu?

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Tue Jun 5 05:01:38 UTC 2012

Hey Mario,

Mario Limonciello [2012-06-04 15:54 -0500]:
> > I think a simpler code base is great.  I noticed that Jockey is still
> included in Quantal daily builds today.

Ubiquity is now using u-d-common already, so that part can already be
tested in alpha-1. But as we do not yet have a replacement GUI, we
keep jockey-gtk until we do. (This has a work item in the blueprint)

> 1) Once there is support directly in software center to indicate which
> packages support your hardware, will Jockey be dropped from ubuntu ISOs?

Yes, it will. I want Jockey out of main, and eventually dropped.

> 2) Have you considered expanding the auto_install_filter to also install
> the packages in the archive that improve the virtualization experience so
> that this is set up on first boot if appropriate?

For the open-vm-dkms package you mean? I haven't considered it, but I
personally don't mind if that gets added.

Martin