KDE Telepathy 0.4 - Call for Testing

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Mon Jul 16 01:35:32 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 3:29 AM, Harald Sitter <apachelogger at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 3:08 AM, David Edmundson
> <david at davidedmundson.co.uk> wrote:
>>

>> On Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 7:31 PM, Harald Sitter <sitter.harald at gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Ultimately we'd get message-indicator support in which case it would
>>> show up in the m-i plasmoid, failing to get that I suppose adding the
>>> presence plasmoid to the default setup is the way to go IMHO.
>

>> The presence plasmoid allows you to control whether you're online, away,
>> etc.  Which (AFAIK) isn't built into m-i. It also makes using KTp a lot
>> easier to use, as it acts as a sort of "dock" for the contact list.
>
> That sound just like what m-i does. If you have an m-i app running and
> simply close the window but not quit the application you can open it
> via the m-i (which is what we do with Kopete right now).
>
>> If you
>> do add it to the default setup, I would add it into the system tray, rather
>> than in the panel.
>
> + That is what I meant :)
>
> HS

The problem with m-i is that it doesn't help to track the status. Also
adds a 1-click step.
Additionally it renders useless the context menu on the system tray.

I had never used it before starting to use kubuntu. I see the value
that it's grouping applications and the notificatons, but I don't love
it. Adding such a usability abstraction for just two programs (irc and
IM) is not worth the trouble, IMHO.

Aleix