GTK System Settings Module in 12.10

Philip Muskovac yofel at gmx.net
Sun Jul 1 13:33:39 UTC 2012

On Saturday 30 June 2012 11:43:59 Jonathan Thomas wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> As some of you may know, Kubuntu ships a System Settings module that
> allows users to control GTK+ 2 themes from within KDE. This System
> Settings module was salvaged from the old gtk-qt-engine codebase and
> was modified by myself to become a generic GTK theme/font
> configuration model. It's feature set is a bit spartan. Apart from
> being able to set the theme and font for GTK2 applications, it doesn't
> do anything else. It's also a bit unmaintained, as I have found myself
> busy with other obligations both in and out of the FOSS community.
> It's been left to bitrot, and still doesn't support controlling GTK+ 3
> themes, etc.
>
> Fortunately, Blue Systems has sponsored the development of a new
> configuration module that has the benefits of A) Being maintained, and
> B) supporting GTK3. It also allows you to set toolbar style (Icons
> only, text only, text beside icons, text below icons, etc) as well as
> whether or not icons should be displayed in GTK buttons and menus. It
> also has a preview feature, but this preview feature raises a few
> questions about its inclusion within Kubuntu since it brings GTK
> packages on to the CD:
>
> [11:21:07] <JontheEchidna> So that new GTK style KCM actually uses GTK
> widgets for a preview feature
> [11:21:27] <JontheEchidna> we could either:
> [11:21:38] <JontheEchidna> -Use some of the new CD space, give in and
> just have GTK On the CD
> [11:21:52] <JontheEchidna> -Disable the preview feature via a patch
> [11:22:03] <JontheEchidna> -Keep the old KCM and not support GTK3
> [11:22:35] <JontheEchidna> but I'm not gonna mess with the seeds until
> that's figured out
> [11:23:01] <Riddell> JontheEchidna: mess with seeds?
> [11:23:11] <JontheEchidna> s/kde-config-gtk/kde-config-gtk-style/
> [11:23:11] <kubotu> JontheEchidna: You did something wrong... Try
> s/you/me/ or tell me "help sed"
> [11:23:22] <Riddell> oh I missread
> [11:24:00] <Riddell> of all the reasons to put gtk on the cd it's not a bad
> one [11:24:26] <JontheEchidna> yeah
> [11:25:06] <JontheEchidna> it'd also mean we could support album art
> transfers in amarok by using the gtk libgpod
> [11:25:47] <JontheEchidna> and we could drop the difference with
> debian in our oxygen gtk style packages where we don't link to gtk
> [11:27:27] <Riddell> dunno I'd have to ponder more
>

> Speaking as the maintainer of the current GTK KCM (which is not to say
> that it is maintained...), I'd definitely like to see the old one go.
> It's unmaintained and I'd really rather not maintain it. But since the
> inclusion of the new KCM does bring up the perennial question of "Do
> we want GTK on the CD", it would be best to consult the wider Kubuntu
> development community for opinions before taking action. If after
> discussion there is not a consensus, we can always put the issue in
> front of the Kubuntu Council for a vote.

Hi,

what me and Felix were worried about when we looked at gtk3 support last cycle
was how to make sure we don't mess with the settings of other desktop
environments. The new KCM uses $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/gtk-3.0/settings.ini which is
fine from a gtk POV, but if another desktop environment doesn't have something
that overrides this (xsettings daemon, ...) it will be forced to use oxygen-
gtk3 as well.

That was IIRC the primary reason why we went with the old kcm and just made it
somewhat support gtk3 as well. In just about any other way the new kcm is
better than the old one so I would be glad to use it, but I would like to have
a general consens whether we really care about this.

As for the libgtk dependency, libgtk is small enough that we should be able to
afford it as long as that's the only additional thing that's pulled in.

Regards,
Philip