GTK System Settings Module in 12.10

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Sun Jul 1 12:21:49 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 2:10 PM, Harald Sitter <apachelogger at ubuntu.com>wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 1:27 PM, Aleix Pol <aleixpol at kde.org> wrote:
> > Hi Jonathan,
> > First of all, I'm glad you're interested in working in this new KCM we
> made.
> > I'm convinced that the new one can add some value.
> >
> > I have not much to add, about the GTK dependency, it can be compiled
> without
> > the gtk_* executables. In this case you wouldn't get examples but it
> would
> > still work. If it doesn't ping me and we can probably manage it. On the
> > other hand, it shows that something wrong is going on. Who'd want to
> > configure GTK without GTK installed?
>
> that last point makes me wonder... how about making muon/qapt install
> the KCM only once libgtk gets installed? it does indeed not make sense
> to configure GTK without having GTK installed so why should we have it
> on the CD if there is no GTK on the CD (altho IMHO configuring GTK
> altogether does not make sense as it should use Qt's style, but oh
> well).
>
> HS

I guess that if GTK is properly configured in Kubuntu by default, the KCM
is not needed. If somebody needs to tweak what the applications look like,
he can install that. Maybe.

On the other hand, I wouldn't hack such rules in muon, if anywhere this
should happen in the apt level. If we add weird behaviors in muon, then we
risk the user thinking that magic is happening and being scared of using it
comfortably with the solid deb/apt base.

Aleix