kde telepathy?

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Thu Feb 16 00:07:15 UTC 2012

On Wednesday, February 15, 2012 11:52:59 PM David Edmundson wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 11:40 PM, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu at kitterman.com>
wrote:

> >> It is not in the near future.
> >> I seriously don't see why everyone gets so het up about this, I've yet
> >> to meet anyone who actually uses OTR, it only works if both parties
> >> use it so it's only nerds talking to nerds.
> >
> > I mention it because I use it on a roughly daily basis, so you've now
> > 'met' someone.
>
> I probably shouldn't have been quite so off hand about it, it's one of
> the constantly brought up "requirements" that everyone talks about
> no-one volunteers to actually do such that I'm fed up of talking about
> it.
>
> It's something that needs to be done upstream at the telepathy level,
> only then can we do our GUI layers upon on it.
> There was an upstream GSOC project last year, stuff exists in a branch
> but it was never merged. Not helped that OTR is (from a technical POV)
> a massive hack and upstream do like to do things "properly".
>
> I'm sure they'd help anyone wanting to work on it, just as I'd go well
> out of my way to help anyone who wanted to work on the relevant KDE
> side once it was implemented upstream.

I can understand this is a frustrating situation.  KDE Telepathy is just
caught in the middle.

It may be that KDE Telepathy has good support for every other ~normal use case
and OTR isn't enough of an issue to block the transition.

Based on this thread, I think the lack of account transition, the lack of
ability to view history, and the lack of message indicator integration are a
larger concern.

Scott K