kde telepathy?

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Wed Feb 15 23:52:59 UTC 2012

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 11:40 PM, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu at kitterman.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 15, 2012 09:47:06 PM David Edmundson wrote:
>> > I want OTR support, but I understand that's not happening.
>> It is not in the near future.
>> I seriously don't see why everyone gets so het up about this, I've yet
>> to meet anyone who actually uses OTR, it only works if both parties
>> use it so it's only nerds talking to nerds.
> I mention it because I use it on a roughly daily basis, so you've now 'met'
> someone.
I probably shouldn't have been quite so off hand about it, it's one of
the constantly brought up "requirements" that everyone talks about
no-one volunteers to actually do such that I'm fed up of talking about

It's something that needs to be done upstream at the telepathy level,
only then can we do our GUI layers upon on it.
There was an upstream GSOC project last year, stuff exists in a branch
but it was never merged. Not helped that OTR is (from a technical POV)
a massive hack and upstream do like to do things "properly".

I'm sure they'd help anyone wanting to work on it, just as I'd go well
out of my way to help anyone who wanted to work on the relevant KDE
side once it was implemented upstream.