compiling kwin for kubuntu the quick way?

Donatas G. dgvirtual at akl.lt
Fri Feb 10 19:49:59 UTC 2012

Lately I have been trying to compile kwin with various patches to test it
against my old hardware that was not available to developers producing
patches.

The obvious option is to go the debian way: download, patch and compile a
source package using debian tools. But kwin is part of a metapackage
kde-workspace, and you can either compile all of it or not compile at all.
And compiling the whole kde-workspace takes maybe 6 hours on my system...

So I tried the short way as suggested earlier on this list:

apt-get source kde-workspace
apt-get build-dep kde-workspace
cd kde-workspace
<apply patch>
mkdir build
cd build
cmake .. -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr
make kwin
cd kwin
sudo make install

I did it, and though it was built without any error and installed nice, it
did not run! I get this error and kwin does not start :(

$ kwin --replace
kwin: error while loading shared libraries: libkephal.so.4: cannot open

I suspect the answer must be somewhere in the kde-workspace source package
debian/rules, but I give smart enough to figure it out.

Having to rebuild the whole kde-workspace really discourages me from trying
to contribute to KDE testing, so if somebody could offer me a possibility
to build kwin the quick way, I would be greatful.

Donatas