userconfig broken

Alex Fiestas afiestas at kde.org
Sat Dec 29 16:32:24 UTC 2012

On Friday 28 December 2012 15:59:50 Yuriy Kozlov wrote:
> Hi Alex,
>
> Here is something I wrote up a while ago on userconfig and its target use
> cases as I saw it at the time:
> https://wiki.kubuntu.org/Kubuntu/Guidance/Userconfig
>
> Maybe it would be good idea to start with that set of requirements, or with
> a new version if there is a consensus that things have changed.  In any
> case, having the use cases written down before development would help
> answer questions like this.
Well, that link has a description that says it all:

Who it is for
Slightly savvier users who want to add separate accounts for each person in
their household.
Should be easy to create a new user with typical permissions.
Power users who are not quite at the sysadmin level and still prefer GUI tools
to configuration files.
Should expose all advanced features

Now my question is, is Kubuntu targeting those users? Is that even a user
group big enough to target to?

I have been developing all my software targeting the group of users less
interested in computers, and I believe Plasma desktop should be developed
using that group in mind and offering alternatives for advance users.

Example:
	-By default you receive files from bluetooth, nothing to configure.
	-If you are one of "those" users you can: change destination, activate
"accept all from this device", share complete folders etc

In the case of user management would be:
	-User wants to create a new user, s/he can easily do it
	-Advance user wants to add groups because... Well because he wants, he
installs kuser/userconfig or use the command line.

I want to know use cases for edit/create groups, if there are such I will be
happy to implement support for it, if not I will make it so somebody can
implement support for them easily and help him/her in the process.