Add hplip-gui to Kubunto ISO?

Steve Riley steve at rileyz.net
Wed Aug 15 16:56:24 UTC 2012

On 2012-08-15 07:14:09 Dale Trombley wrote:

> I've always touted kubuntu as being the better one
>
> I have an hp wireless all in one, wireless scanning has never worked for me
> in kubuntu. I do have hplip-gui installed.
>
> I fired up last nights daily build of ubuntu and wireless scanning works
> without any fidling.  When connecting the printer wirelessly it said
> downloading driver. As far as I could tell it installed hplip instead of
> hpcups.
>
> Not a deal breaker for me but certainly could be for some.
>
> Is there a way to have kubuntu download the better driver if it sees that
> the internet has been connected ala ubuntu?

Interestingly enough, we just had a brief thread about wireless scanning on
the forum. One of our members posted this:

Try comparing /etc/sane.d/dll.conf and /etc/sane.d/net.conf in both distros
and see if they differ. my installation I have to enable the "net" driver in
sane.d and add my server hostname (or ip) to net.conf.

http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthread.php?59763

...Steve