[kubuntu-devel] Making IBus usable in Kubuntu

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Thu Aug 2 13:43:49 UTC 2012

On Thursday, August 02, 2012 12:14:09 PM AWASHIRO Ikuya wrote:
> Hi Scott,
>
> I added several changes to my PPA.
> https://launchpad.net/~ikuya-fruitsbasket/+archive/kimpanel
> In my opinion, plasma-widget-kimpanel-backend-ibus should have its own
> im-switch script for (hopefully near) the future.
> /etc/xdg/autostart/kimpanel-ibus-panel.desktop is not good idea.
>
> And, kubuntu-desktop doesn't depend ibus (but ibus-qt4 do).
> It is time to add dependency.
>
> $ apt-cache show ibus
> Package: ibus
> --snip--
> Task: ubuntu-desktop, ubuntu-usb, edubuntu-desktop, edubuntu-usb,
> xubuntu-desktop, lubuntu-desktop, ubuntustudio-desktop

We need to do two things:

For precise, we need to do the minimum change to get things working.  I think
your ~ppa1 package represents that and I've included those changes in the KDE
SC 4.8.5 packaging I'm working on.

For quantal, there's no need to be minimal.  We can concentrate on making it
work well, which it looks like your ~ppa2 pacakges are a good step in the
right direction.

Unlike the other Ubuntu flavors we do try to miminize our GTK dependencies.
Since ibus is only needed for some languages, I think it would be more
appropriate for Kubuntu to only install it for people selecting languages that
need it, but I didn't do any looking into how to do that.

Thanks for working on this.

Scott K